Saturday, December 15, 2012

Brunchapalooza

I love brunch. I really do. So when I heard that brunches were really popular here, I was on board. But I had no idea what I was getting into.

Brunch here is an event. It is an all-day marathon of every food and drink you can imagine. It is a feast, it is a festival, it is a celebration of gluttony. And man, did we celebrate.

We went to the Westin, a beautiful hotel with a huge open lobby/atrium with two floors of food. Let me say that again. Two whole floors of food. There was a giant dessert station, a breakfast station, meat stations, Indian food, Chinese food, Greek food, Thai food, Mexican food, Japanese food, French food, a noodle station, a little Italy, a seafood bar, you name it.


With Peter at brunch. Yes, there was cotton candy, or as the Brits call it, "fairy floss."


Round 2 or 3.


So the other thing about brunch is that it always comes with some live entertainment. After a meal spent listening to a live orchestra followed by some opera hits, these three ladies came out playing their electric violins and cello.


A group of women danced with fans.


This was my favorite performer. A magician with a thousand faces, he was silently playful, charming, and a trickster. Up close it was still impossible to see how he changed masks over and over and over again as he danced around waving his cape and toyed with us until his last mask was unveiled and he took a bow. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment