I really wanted to write an amazing first blog post. I imagined typing a long, beautiful entry with some truly thoughtful first impressions, acknowledging all of my heartfelt feelings about leaving New York while at the same time expressing my enthusiasm about what's to come here in this next phase. It was going to be intelligent, insightful, and eloquent. Poetry in blog form. A minimum of two tissues required. And I wanted people to read it and think, wow, I am definitely adding this blog to my regular rotation instead of just reading the first post out of obligation before forgetting about it forever.
But that is a lot of pressure for one little post, so like any experienced procrastinator, I avoided it. And I excused myself for being too busy and jet lagged, or I assumed that one morning I would sit down at a desk with a quill and ink in my hands, ponder intensely for a few moments, then shout "By Jove, I've got it!" (because obviously that's how every brilliant idea or discovery happens). But I'm not a genius, and I left my ink and quill at home. The brilliant eureka moment is not going to come, and waiting forever is the only way to guarantee failure. And that's just silly. So I've decided to skip all that mess.
I don't know what I want to say. I don't know if, when, or how often inspiration will strike. But in the spirit of adventure and a solid "up yours" to that inner voice that thinks I'm always making of a fool of myself and that I need to be good at things, I'm not going to let that stop me. There are going to be some uninspired posts on this blog. Hey, some may even be downright unreadable. But what's important is that they will be there. And I will be here, in a foreign country, bumbling around and failing over and over again and writing about it with varying success. Maybe I'll figure it out, and maybe I won't, but either way I'm going to keep trying. For everyone who ever let fear of failure stop them from trying. For you. You're welcome.
baby boy crib bedding
4 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment